Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bacon, Leek, and Raisin Quiche

Hi Everyone,

I was so blown away by farmers market, I love talking to the growers, they know the bits and bobs of their produce which means you will get extra tips in getting the best out of their produce. I went to Victoria Market, during my short trip to Melbourne last time, I have to say I couldn't stop Aww, and Ooow-ing every 3-4 meters away. Seeing cured meats being hanged,  all sorts of cheese, and the bread, oh the bread, I love seeing artisan breads lying around the counter, and many more, you name it! I had a sudden urge to relocate to Melbourne that day. Melbournians you are extremely lucky! :D



Talking about farmers markets, I went to Eveleigh Market the other day, although I couldn't feel the same excitement and joy as before, but I still enjoyed my trip. I remembered clearly the first breakfast I had on that day was prosciutto with raisin quiche. Let me tell you, it was superb, the savoury-ness of the prosciutto was nicely balanced by the raisins. For me, the raisins were an element of surprise, I never thought they would pair up nicely in any sort. Yes, don't judge the book by its cover. Anyway, for someone who invent this beauty, I love u! For giving me a different, yet flavoursome, yet delicious quiche to love :D

So, here is my rendition to that lovely beast. I hope I do you proud ^^




Bacon, Leek, and Raisin Quiche
Ingredients
100 g Leek, chopped
60 g Bacon, diced
45 g Raisin
60 g Tasty cheese, grated
2 Eggs
125 ml Milk
1 sheet of shortcrust pastry, thawed as directed
Oil
Black pepper
1 tsp thyme

Directions:
1. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil, add leeks, cook in a medium-low heat, until softened, set aside
2. In another pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil, add bacon and cook until just slightly golden, set aside
3. Pre-heat the oven to 180C
4. Cut the shortcrust pastry into 4 small squares
5. Line the pastry tin (I used 12 cm diameter pastry tin), prick the base with a fork
6. Meanwhile, mix together, egg, milk, grated cheese, black pepper, and thyme
7. Divide the leek, bacon, and raisin among 4 pastry tins
8. Pour the egg mixture into the filled pastry tins
9. Place them in the oven, and bake it for 20 minutes or until golden brown


 


'Till then,


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment