Monday, April 12, 2010

Pound or Bundt Cakes Bake Off part 1 !!

 " Pound cake is a yellow cake, kinda have it"
~Grey's Anatomy~



Call me obsessed 
I can watch grey's anatomy over and over again..
and still can't get enough...
I was reminded about this pound cake when I saw it appeared on grey's anatomy..
I used to hate this cake..
It's dense.. It's buttery..
We always have it during chinese new year.. 
my aunty always make this..
*I'm sorry aunty.. But no offense*
But now... I crave for it..

Anyway..
What is the difference between bundt cake and pound cake?
They are rich.. they are dense..
what makes a different then?
*Correct me if I'm wrong*
According to Mr Wiki...
Bundt cake is a cake baked in a bundt pan with lots of design.. *Beauty*
While pound cake is a cake with 1:1:1:1 ratio of flour, eggs, butter, sugar..
They are different varieties since those really depend on the creativity of the maker..

So today, I decided to bake bundt cake first...

The method are pretty much the same as baking a cake.
As you bake it, you'll see the surface will crack quite a lot.. but don't worry
It will be covered...
Since you are going to invert the cake later on..


Milk Chocolate Mini Bundt Cakes
~Dorie Greenspan~

Ingredients :

Swirl :
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp sugar

Cake Batter :
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
8 tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
7 oz milk chocolate, melted

Directions:

Swirl :
1. Combine all the ingredients, set aside

Cake:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C
2. Beat the butter, and sugar until smooth, and fluffy
3. Add in vanilla, mix well
4. Add half of the flour mixture, and half of milk, alternately
5. Add in the melted milk chocolate, mix well
6. Generously butter the bundt pan
7. Fill the bundt pan with the mixture
8. Bake it for 1 hour

~ I used 8 cups bundt pan, which required longer time to bake~
You can use mini bundt pan as suggested by dorie, and cook it for 20 minutes.



The glaze in dorie's recipe * which I didn't write it here*
didn't work for me..
It wasn't spreadable..
I wanted a smooth glazing here..
So, I modified her recipe a bit..
 I melted some dark chocolates (about 5 oz), 
and a tiny little bit of corn syrup (should be less than 1 tsp)
I just added more corn syrup as I went.. remember.. TINY bit!!

Wait for the verdict after pound cake post... ^^
Cya in the next post..

No comments:

Post a Comment