Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday roast

This spring is a bit chilly than usual, which is good. I love cool, breezy weather..
This kind of weather made me long for something that I knew would comfort me...
I thought about roast beef, roast chicken for quite a long time ago.
There is something about Sunday roast that always make me so fond about it.
I think it must be the sense of festivities, and abundance.
I miss the good old days where me and my big family shared a meal in a table.  Soon I'll be back. :)

Since, I am almost free from all the routines, I spared a day to cook this beautiful roast beef.



A couple of days ago, I went for grocery shopping,  have I told you that I love spend time to carefully checking for new veggies ?! I may sound like a retard but well, I told you the truth.
I found this lemon thyme. It's a rare thing to find in a normal grocer. I jumped as if I found a treasure trove!! And I also couldn't avoid myself from buying the purple dutch carrots. They were absolutely gorgeous.


I continued my shopping routine with gnocchi, and a gorgeous standing rib.
I got the inspiration from Nigella Lawson who fried the gnocchi in oil which resembles mini roast potato or she called it roastini. I thought it was a perfect idea. You can find the mini roastini in Nigella's new cookbook, called Nigella Kitchen: Recipe from the heart of the home.

I had decided that I would make the roastini instead of roast potato, roast carrots, and roast beef with gravy.

Welcome home sunday roast!! :D:D

Sunday Roast ala Me
Ingredients
1.2 kg Standing ribs, room temperature
1 bunch orange dutch carrot
1 bunch purple dutch carrot
1 medium brown onion, skinned off, and cut into chunks
2 garlic clove, skinned off
2-3 sprigs thyme
375 g fresh gnocchi
salt
pepper
1 tsp paprika
olive oil

Directions
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C
2. Place the brown onion and garlic on a baking tray
3. Drizzle  the rib with a little oil, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp paprika, and thyme
4. Heat up a little oil in a pan, seal the meat by cooking each side of the rib for 2-3 minutes max
4. Place it on a baking tray on top of the brown onion
4. Cut the carrot length ways, place them on another baking tray, drizzle with a little bit of oil and 1/2 tsp salt
5. Place carrot on the bottom rack of the oven, cook for 35 minutes or until tender
6. Place the rib in the middle rack of the oven, and cook for 30 minutes. ( Your beef will be rare, if you want it to be medium rare, cook up to 45-50 minutes)
7. Mean while, heat up a little oil in a pan, pan fried the gnocchi until golden

Gravy
375 ml beef stock
2 tbsp plain flour
remaining beef dripping from the baking pan
salt
pepper
1 tbsp oil

Directions
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil on a pan, add flour, stir through
2. Add the beef stock with constant stirring
3. Add the remaining beef dripping
4. Add salt and pepper

Notes: If you want to thicken the gravy even more, dissolve additional flour with water, add this flour slurry to the gravy slowly, let it come to bubble again, check the consistency, then add more if you need it.


Hope you have a lovely weekend




'Till then,


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. hai ayu.. seperti biasa, blognya cantik.. dutch carrot it cendung lebih manis dr wortel yg ukuran besar yah? duh jd pengen coba

    ReplyDelete
  2. hai mbak.. salam kenal..
    makasih.. :D
    menurut aku manisan yang orange biasa. cuma seneng aja liat wortel warnanya beda2.. :D:D jadinya di coba deh :)

    ReplyDelete