Saturday, December 25, 2010

Greetings from Indonesia

Hey All,

I am here in Indonesia, my lovely home. Currently, I enjoy every single thing here. I immerse myself in various activities, my cousin's wedding, shopping with mom, lunches and dinner with family, and friends. I know I should be embarrassed about this, but I have no shame for it, I have to tell you that I literally eat 4-5 times a day here. It does sound crazy, but I couldn't care less since this is the only chance to fulfill my crazy cravings for Indonesian food.

Anyway, I want to update you that three days ago, my family celebrated onde-onde (Pronounced: On-Day-On-Day) day. I am not too sure about the exact history behind this celebration, however this has been passed on from generations to generations.


We, Indonesians have a lot of dishes that are referred to as onde-onde, one of them is the sesame ball that you can easily find one at many chinese restaurants that serve dim sum, the other translation came from our neighboring country, Malaysia, where onde-onde refers to green glutinous ball stuffed with palm sugar and rolled on dessicated coconut ( Indonesians call them Klepon). The onde-onde I had was slightly different from the rest, it appeared as colourful tiny balls about 1 cm in diameter and no stuffing inside, and  you have them with a hot gingery sugar syrup. It is a nice company during winter.

This has been my mom's task every single year, but on this occasion I did help out and took some pictures.  Sadly, since she didn't measure any of the ingredients, I have no recipe to post. However, if you want the recipe, you can send an email to me, and I will ask my mom and send you the recipe.

I will delay you no further for your tight Christmas schedule (Yes, I know!).
And
I wish you all a wondrous Christmas.



'Till then,

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Yu! :)
    wow, mom must be proud with you helping and of course how beautiful her onde looks in the picture. bet it tastes delicious too! have a nice holiday..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Xmas Mon :)
    Thank you, hope you have a wonderful holiday too, and Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete