Sunday, January 16, 2011

Triple Berries Tart

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all have a lovely New Year!
First thing first, I am back in Sydney, however for days, I was bored to the limit, that I didn't feel like doing anything..
Once, my mom called me, and she said "why don't u cook?!". Well, after months of not touching my new kitchen, I just lost the momentum. So, what my mom said did hit me. So, no more laziness.. and I was off to the supermarket (not straight away obviously).
After looking at peaches, nectarines, and plums, there were fruits that I couldn't go pass, yes they were berries! I thought I must have some of those. Yes, my crazy obsessions for berries hasn't stopped there yet (remember my old post?! See here).


I read somewhere that although in Australia, we have many berries, from strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and some of the uncommon ones like gooseberries and mulberries, the last two berries that I mentioned are rare to be found. Even if I could found one, they were normally in a sad condition. They just don't travel well.
There are thousand of ways to use these plumptious berries, but there is something evocative about making frangipane tart with berries. I still mesmerised the pear fragipane tart, I used to have at Bourke Street Bakery, Surry Hills. Anyway, the sweet, almondy taste really set off the sour tang of the berries.

This recipe is taken from Donna Hay magazine, I love her recipes simply because most of them are so simple, and approachable. In her recipe, it called for 3 packs of blueberries, I modified it slightly, by using 1 package each of three different berries. As people said "The more the merrier".

So here is the recipe 

Triple Berries Tart
Ingredients
3 x 200 g store bought shortcrust pastry sheets, thawed
1 x 125 g punnets blueberries
1 x 125 g punnets raspberries
1 x 125 g punnets blackberries
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup almond meal
2 tbsp all purpose flour
40 g unsalted butter, melted
1  tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
Icing Sugar for sprinkling

Directions
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C
2. Use an 11 cm cookie cutter to cut out 6 rounds, and cut the remaining shortcrust pastry with any shape of cookie cutters for the lid (I used heart shape cookie cutter)
3. Line 6 lightly greased 1/3 cup capacity pie tins with the pastry rounds, set aside
4. For the lid, place the cut shortcrust pastry on a lined tin, and baked until golden brown, set aside
4. Combine the berries, sugar, lemon juice in a bowl, set aside
5. Combine the almond meal, flour, extra sugar, butter, vanilla, lemon rind in a bowl, set aside
6. Divide the almond mixture among the pie shells and top it with the berry mixtures
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the side is golden brown
8. To assemble,  just place the assorted lid on top of the completely cooled pie, press down a little bit, until it sticks, and dust with a little icing sugar.


Happy Baking!!

'Till then,



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. hehe the more the merrier indeed! welcome back to the land of baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi yu, so you've already in sydney again. hehe. i've never made berry pie but looking at your post (both of your berry pie posts) i feel quite interested on making some. haha. bsk2 ak hrs coba nih kayanya.. :)

    ReplyDelete