Friday, September 30, 2011

American Corn Dogs

Hi Everyone,

I was caught up with a lot of things for the past two weeks. I was so exhausted over the weekends and the only thing I wanted to do was sleeping. Last week, I completely had no idea of what to cook, it was rather unusual, really.

This week, I promised myself to cook something, and eat a proper home cook meal. I had decided to cook this american corn dogs. Something from my childhood.



My first encountered with this corn dogs was about 11 years ago, where I bought one piece of this 'unknown' snack at the food court. I had no regret, and I just craved for more. Sadly, I never had the chance to have it anymore, since the shop closed not long after that.



After years of searching the time has come, I found this recipe from Feast, a new magazine from sbs. The super nice lady from Mud Australia said this magazine is worth reading. So, not long after that, I got myself a copy. Yes, indeed. I fall in love with the magazine, it has great pictures, many lovely recipes, and covers dishes from countries around the world.



I will definitely buy the next issue. For now, here is the recipe...



American Corn Dogs
Adapted from Feast Magazine

Ingredients:
110 g polenta (cornmeal)
185 g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2  tsp salt
55 g caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
330 ml buttermilk
16 cocktail frankfurts
Vegetable oil
Wooden skewers

Directions:
1. Place polenta, 150 g plain flour, bicarbonate soda, baking powder, cayenne pepper, salt, caster sugar in a bowl, mix well.
2. Stir in egg and buttermilk, mix well.
3. Fill a deep fryer until one third full with oil, heat it up over a medium heat (180C).
4. Place the remaining flour (35 g) in a shallow bowl, and working one hot dog at a time, dust it with flour, shaking off the excess.
5. Thread the corn dogs onto skewers.
6. Coat the hot dog with the batter, and gently drop into the oil and fry and turning halfway, until crisp and golden brown.
7. Serve immediately.


'Till then,

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Those corn dogs look so good! Beautifully moody clicks.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look JUST like the ones we had at the Dude Food Dego today...eat your heart out Dan Hong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi ayu, salam kenal
    glad that i have bumped and discover your blog!
    you have absolutely great recipes and fantastic photographs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ira. Glad to hear that you like the blog :D

      Delete
  4. Hi Ayu, they look yummy!!
    Agree, droolling recipes and great photos

    ReplyDelete