Saturday, January 9, 2010

Creme brulee

Always have been a dream to use a torch.. But, the fact that I have to fill my own torch with butane, my dream is gone with the wind.

Butane is a flammable liquid, and after taking the safety course, I just can't bare looking at dangerous stuffs around me, yes, it freaks me out.

Thankfully, I found the head of a torch only, so I just clamp it onto a butane gas cylinder, don't even have to bother of refilling. It's a genius..

So, I tempted to test my torch by making a creme brulee..

The important thing that I noticed is the size of ramekin does matter. From the recipe that I used, it said that it should be baked for 1 hour, but in my case it took me almost 2 hours. If you use a small shallow dish about 2 cm in height, probably you can bake it for just 1 hours.. I used the normal ramekins for a souffle which is about 6 cm in height, which took longer, and used 2 smaller ones which a lot quicker than those big ones. So, I do suggest the 2cm in height ramekin.

The taste of the creme brulee was amazing. Yum.. yum.. so lucious, it's perfect...

Here is the recipe....

Crème Brûlée
By Dorie Greenspan

1 ¼ cups  heavy cream
½ cup  whole milk
3 large egg yolks
1 / 3 cup  sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
About 6 tablespoons sugar or sifted light brown sugar, for topping

1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 200ºF. Put the six baking dishes on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat.

2. Bring the cream and milk just to a boil.

3. In a 1 or 2-quart (approx. 1-2 liters) glass measuring cup or in a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together until well blended but not airy. Still whisking, drizzle in about one quarter of the hot liquid---this will temper, or warm, the yolks so they won’t curdle. Whisking all the while, slowly pour in the remainder of the cream and milk. Give the bowl a good rap against the counter to de-bubble the custard, then strain it into the baking dishes.

4. Bake the custards for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the centers are set---tap the sides of the dishes, and the custards should hold firm. Lift the dishes onto a cooling rack and let the custards cool until they reach room temperature.

5. Cover each custard with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, preferably longer. (The custards can be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.) For the sugar to be successfully caramelized, the custards need to be thoroughly chilled.

 
 Have a good weekend ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment