Sunday, July 25, 2010

Apple and Raisin Pie

Dear Readers,

I miss this blog so badly. I've been busy lately, a sudden shock of a new semester really got me.
Finally, I was in the mood to brainstorm and do something about it.

I love apple pie. When I first tried it, I hated it. I didn't like the taste at all. However, I gave it another chance, which in the end, it really converted me.

I'm a great believer of not so enjoyable ingredients, when paired and married with other ingredients, can create something that can blow your mind away. For instance, I'm not a fan of granny smith, it is too sour for my liking. However, I love it when it transforms itself into apple pie. With a little bit of help, of course, from Mr. Sugar, Mrs. All spice.

So, today I baked an apple pie.



I have a little problem with the pastry, it was crisp to perfection but it wasn't crumbly as I wanted it to be, so If you have your own recipe for the pastry, you CERTAINLY can use yours*no rules here, baby*. I post this because, I really love the filling recipe, and I want to share it with you^^, so forgive me..I will post the recipe for the better shortcrust pastry *I keep my promise*

Here is the recipe :

Ingredients :
Filling:
400 gr granny smith apples,peeled, and chopped
1/2 cup sugar
120 gr raisin
4 tbsp rum
2 tsp ground all spice
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp butter


Directions:
Filling:
1. Soak the raisin in rum for at least 30 minutes, until it soften.
2. Peel the apple, and chop it small chuncks
3. Heat up the pan, add the butter until it melts
4. Add in the apple, raisins and rum mixture, sugar, and all spice, let it simmers on a medium heat for 5-7 minutes
5. Dissolve cornstarch with a little water
6. Add the cornstrach mixture into the apple mixture, and mix it well until the mixture looks dry
7. Turn off the heat, and let it cool
8.You are ready to use it 

This recipe can make about 4 serves of a 11 cm pie dish.
You can double it as you desire.


Apart from the cooking, I want to share my excitement. I received goodies from my parents, B, and my lovely families as my birthday presents.*yeah.. yeah I know it's been a while ago :)*
They gave me a lot of food related stuffs!! How thoughtful they are?!! Thanks daddy, mommy, B, and my granny, aunties, uncles, and cousins. Love you, and thank you for giving me such an inspiration to cook and love cooking even more. You are my hero!!!


I received a bento box (the red one) from my dad which he bought during his trip to Japan recently! AWESOMENESS!
I also received a GRATER *yes, it's microplane* from B.. lovely..
Do you see the MEHIGAN's Cookbook there??!!
It takes me right back to masterclass at masterchef! *as if*
and 
an eating out journal!! *I was about to buy it last time*
thanks aunties, uncles, ipo, and cousins.

It doesn't stop right there.
My mom bought me this!!!!
yes, it's MACRO lens 60 mm f 2.8 USM
Good bye my old pal 50 mm f 1.8!! 
Thanks mom, you're the best!

I feel so blessed to have families that support me the entire of my life time. Being able to cook, really means a lot to me. Thanks for being a part of my life. ^^
The end.

Back to the apple pie,

So my readers, tell me, do you have any dishes that converted you completely?
Have a great weekend 
^^



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment