Saturday, August 14, 2010

Apple Pie part II

I'm back with my apple pie today.
Do you still remember my pie madness (in here)??
I tried a couple of recipe, and still stumble on the same problem..
I'm wondering, is short crust pastry flaky? or crumbly?

Well, I have no problem with flaky pastry, but I want the one that crumbles in your mouth right away..
Anyway, If you think flaky pastry is right for you, this recipe is yours.




This recipe is an adaptation from nigella's recipe *you know I love her very much*

Here is the recipe :

Ingredients:
240 g plain flour
60 g butter
60 g shortening (vegetable or animal will do)
200 ml orange juice or water *my adjustment*, chilled

Directions:
1. Cut the butter and shortening into small cubes, place it in a bowl with your flour, and refrigerate it for 20 minutes
2. You may use you food processor, or pastry blender or your hand, and start crumble your flour and butter, shortening mixture.
3. Once you have a sandy mixture, add water or orange juice one table spoon at a time, don't pour the whole liquid at once, and stop add any liquid once it comes together. (don't over work the dough)
4. Divide it into 2-3 balls, cover with cling film, and let it rest for 30 minutes
5. Roll the dough on a lightly dusted surface, and rolled as you desire
* you can find the filling recipe in here*


Notes:
1. Every flour has different water absorption capability, so, add the water to the pastry a tablespoon at a time
2. If you use your hand to crumble the flour and butter, and you have hot hands, immerse your hand in an icy cold water *I know it's a bit painful*.


Hope you have a wonderful weekend everybody.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment